Monday, March 18, 2013

The first week of March is when I really started planting things this year. I started some herbs in pots both for myself and for a sister. I early started our tomatoes, our two kinds of peppers, one banana tree, and some very unusual fruit that is in a class of its own. The corner of our living room looks like this right now.

I hope you weren't expecting good photography.
From left to right in the "empty" pots.
  • Oregano, Marjoram, Thyme
  • Parsley
  • Chives in the window box (the same as I put in the garden)
  • More Oregano in the small hanging pot (it's hiding behind the lamp) to give away
  • In the bigger grey pot is our banana seed.
  • One leftover scraggly Basil plant from last year in the other hanging pot, as well as some new Basil seedlings. Also to give away.
  • In the egg cartons I started the tomatoes (same as the garden), Albino Bullnose peppers, Thai Red Chilli peppers, and something called a Cassabanana.
If you notice the tiny pot to the far right, that is, I think, a tree seedling that volunteered in one of my pots from last year. It looks like a miniature version of the tree that hung over our apartment balcony. I decided to save it and see if I could eventually turn it into a bonsai.Of course, the actual tree in corner there is our Poblano. Once I stopped drowning it, it started putting out peppers again. To the left of that is more scraggly basil that I barely nursed through the winter. Probably won't be doing that again. I must resign myself to a basiless winter.

So far, most of the herbs and one tomato have actually sprouted.  I am very concerned about the egg carton containing the peppers and the Cassabanana. I originally put them inside something that I thought might give a green house effect, but I forgot that seedlings need air flow. I took them out when the dirt started to grow mold. I'll probably start some more just in case.

I also got to plant some flower seeds I bought last year and never planted. They are called Lupine Tutti Frutti Mix from Burpee. I don't know anything about them except that the package says they do well in shade. I have a little flower plot right next to the house that is in shade most of the day. Hopefully I'll get some flowers out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment